Monday, March 17, 2014

"The Sweetness of Doing Nothing"

First I have to say, THANK YOU for the ones who read my first post and all the encouraging messages that went along with it! I already feel accountable to keep up, because of the feedback that I received! So, with that said, here it goes:

I would be lying to you if I said this has been an easy task (giving up thinking about the boys of the past and future), which in some ways it has and in many ways it hasn't. The way way it has been easy is that I am able to catch myself and take it back to God right away. The way it hasn't is there are just things out of my control that inevitably remind me of something that takes so much will power to stop. My sister-in-law, Sara, told me it is God really wanting me to talk to Him, because those things come up in order for me to go back to Him. The main question that I am asking myself, "Is it really possible to be in complete control your thoughts?" I think the answer yes, but I just haven't mastered it yet. I felt encouraged by my former professor last week and her advice was so simple, which she asked, "How can we turn those moments/thought into positives?" (Side note: Melissa is probably one of the best child development professors I was lucky to have during my time at Citrus College...take her class and you'll see what I'm talking about). 

Anyways, I know I am on my way and every set back is a lesson to improve and to keep going! All that has happened is just part of the story that I like to believe I'm stuck right in the middle. I can't flip the pages back, because I already know what has happened and I can't go forward just yet, because I might miss an important detail in the present page that could be crucial to another part of the story. 

A quote that I found on Pinterest that probably says it better than I can is, "Sometimes we need to stop analyzing the past, stop planning the future, stop figuring out precisely how we feel, stop deciding exactly what we want, and just see what happens." (Carrie Bradshaw-Sex in the City).

Something else that I really want to share today is something that continues to inspire me in my journey, which comes from one of my favorite movies, "Eat Pray Love." The Italian saying, "Dolce far niente" translated- "The sweetness of doing nothing," which is something that I am purposefully trying to practice and I hope it is something you will feel inspired to practice too! Now, I am pretty sure this quote isn't used as an excuse to live out a lazy life, but rather to enjoy every moment especially the moments that don't seem to be anything special. Maybe it's about savoring the foods we love, loving the people we love to spend time with, laughing until it hurts, and maybe for some of us it is just having a moment of silence, while sipping a favorite hot/cold drink.

So, my sweetness of doing nothing includes soaking in every minute with my nephew, eating my mom's spaghetti (she only makes this when we have special company), playing the ukulele by the pool as I soak in the beautiful California sun, driving with the windows down, and having my fingers play the piano uncontrollably when the house is empty. 
Mateo and me- Before going on a walk

Some new things I have tried: 

  • Horchata Blend from Classic Coffee! 
  • I changed my usual Chipotle order by adding the hot sauce instead of mild and adding sour cream! (Why have I been missing out on sour cream this whole time?)
  • Listening to the whole album Pioneer from The Band Perry in one sitting. (So fitting for this journey, right?)


I want to hear from you too my fellow readers! What are your "Sweetness of doing nothing" activities, moments, your challenges, victories, tips, advice, etc.?  

These are the things I had to say! 




No comments:

Post a Comment